Skip to main content

Oh Tokyo - Day 3

This day is the most important day of our trip.  All other itineraries and plans are put on-hold.  I had to be physically and musically prepared for the concert in the afternoon.

We began our day in a very inspiring way.  We heard mass at the St. Francis Catholic Center.  There were several Filipinos, Westerners and a few Japs present in the mass.  It was unbelievably simple.  There was no music at all.  I found it incredibly ironic that a choir present in a music-less celebration.  I was itching to sing, and I am not alone in that feeling.  

Before the final blessing, newcomers to the congregation were requested to introduce themselves.  Our group was represented by our conductor.  He shared that we will be having a concert in the afternoon, together with two other choirs.  The priest, then, apologized for the "silent" mass.  He relayed that the music director was in the Philippines for a short vacation.  He also asked us to sing the final song, since we are already there.  Of course, we indulged.  At the end of the mass, several people thanked us.  It was such a great feeling to share our talents to people who were yearning to hear God in our music.  I have never felt that same need for music in any other environment.

After the mass, we had to rush to the concert venue (Tokyo Metropolitan Art Space in Ikebukuro).  Of course, we can't help comparing the amenities of the theater.  Everything is new, automated and clean.  The backstage area looks immaculate.  Jusko, we can't refrain ourselves from comparing it to CCP's backstage/bodega.  We are feeling the pressure of giving them (SYC and Gaia) the same exceptional facilities and accommodations.   Where can we find them in our third world country?  Well, at least we can provide them chauffeurs and trips to the beach.

While waiting in our dressing area, we kept ourselves busy with trips to the nearby convenience stores to sample Japanese bread, sushi and various drinks.  Some spent more time fixing up their hair, make-up and costumes.  

Come concert time, we went up to our designated place in the audience.  I am surprised that the concert hall was nearly full.  I didn't know that there were so many music-enthusiasts in Japan.  We were second-in-line to perform.  Many commented that they enjoyed Cayabyab's Anima Christi.  It brought tears to their eyes (daw).   Of course, we are delighted to hear that.  That is one of the reasons why we work so hard.

Since we worked so hard, we deserve to reward ourselves.   A few steps away is cozy resto/bar dressed up for our get-together.  It was extremely small for 100 people so only a few got seats.  I was one of those lucky few who got a table near the buffet.  I heard shouts of "Kampai" all over place.  I didn't know that you'd have to finish the drink when you say the magic word.  Of course, the younger people enjoyed themselves.  I came out of the party sober, thanks to my OJ.

The party couldn't come to a close without chika songs from each choir.  We sang Dahil Sa 'Yo.  SYC rendered a lovely piece which I'd like to learn.  Gaia sang Rosas Pandan.  It was wonderful to hear the Japanese sing the Visayan song.  Their accent is quite evident.  Gaia's conductor, Ko M., was a fabulous host.  His comic ways livened up the group.  

It was the last time we'd see everyone before we host them in Manila next year.  It was great to make friends with them.  I never thought Japanese people could be that gracious and mild-mannered.  

This experience certainly changed my outlook about Japan and her people. 

------------------

It has been a week since I got back.  Still, I haven't found the time to upload my pictures.  I am still catching up on affairs and people I left behind.  Please bear with me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excited

That is how I felt when I got up from bed this morning. There are just so many things to do and to look forward to this week. I'd have to... ... get hold of CCP to discuss a possible tie-up for the next Three Festival. I may need to get some contacts from Tito Bal. ... get the space application form from Ayala Malls. ... visit the furniture fair at SMX this weekend. ... get a new copy of our marriage certificate for Vic's Visa renewal. ... obtain franchise terms from my top two food chains. ... interview the new househelp prospect. ...see if we can finally sell our SUV to make room for a bigger one. I hope I can get started soon. I hope Javi's yaya gets well right away so I can slip and get some of these done.

Luxury Bags in Japan

Since almost everyone I know visited Japan this summer, I would like re-live my visit this year through this post.  This time, I will focus on luxury bags. We've heard about the usual reseller shops that house these luxury brands.  The one I can remember now is Daikokuya. I must've visited almost all reseller shops I've seen on the road.  I've noticed that these shops carry the top 3 popular ones:  Hermes, Chanel and Louis Vuitton.  There still are several pieces of Balenciaga, Valentino, Tory Burch, Celine, Gucci and Michael Kors but not as abundant as the top 3.  I guess what carries the most value are the three popular ones. If you are looking for cheap designer bags, I suggest checking out Don Quixote.  You will usually find on the topmost floors on Donki.  I think this is the one in Shinjuku. I am not so sure. You find them arranged like this or inside locked glass cabinets.  I'm sure the artisans who made these bags will turn in their graves seein

Life Lately

For several months now, my husband and I have been juggling the EV importing business and this ambulatory center we are putting up.  In August, we hosted a grand birthday party for FIL, received balikbayans then sent them off.  The kids started school in August too.  Did I say that their schools are quite far from each other? It has been a busy past few months.  I am not used to waking up early every morning to bring the kids to school then head off to work.  I am starting to feel tired.   It is an adjustment.  At first, I was enjoying being an "empty nester" when all kids are in school.  But now that work is piling up, I miss those quiet times at home.   I am so looking forward to having a vacation soon. I need to recharge.