Skip to main content

On brats

I don't like dealing with spoiled brats. I wasn't raised as one. I was brought up to live simply and practically. I had to work hard for my rewards. I had my own share of anxieties and punishments.

These people were over-indulged when they were little. They grow up to be holier-than-thou individuals who are proud enough to believe that they are always right. I pity them for not being equipped to handle bigger challenges that the real world throws at them.

Having said that, I would like to share with you some guidelines how NOT to raise spoiled brats.

1. Don't indulge every request. Children should be taught boundaries to nurture emotional growth. It is important that they learn how to delay gratification and to get over their own stumbling blocks. I believe this is known as EQ today.

2. Don't be a safety net. Parents shouldn't feel obligated to rescue their child every time. Children should be allowed to feel frustrated, unhappy and angry. These feelings help them struggle to become stronger and more responsible adults.

3. Just say "No" and make it stick. Most parents tend to say YES all the time because it is difficult to say otherwise. Parents should also keep in mind that NO doesn't become MAYBE the child starts to beg. Otherwise, the child would get the impression that the rules are bendable and negotiable.

4. Make time for consequences. Consequences should not be postponed. If done differently, parents send out a message that the rules apply only when it is convenient.

5. Limit the stuff. In a society that promotes materialism, it is very difficult to teach simplicity. Limiting the stuff helps children realize that it is WHO they are that matters. Most importantly, they are taught that it is not what they possess that defines one's happiness.

6. How to deal with the holidays. The holidays is the time when materialism is most prevalent. Parents must instill the value of giving that comes with receiving gifts during the holidays.

7. It's never too late... to let your children struggle and resolve their own issues. These experiences make them more aware of their limitations. It helps build self-esteem and self-awareness.


-----------------------------

I know this is easier said than done. Good luck to us!

reference: nymetroparents.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luxury Bags in Japan

Since almost everyone I know visited Japan this summer, I would like re-live my visit this year through this post.  This time, I will focus on luxury bags. We've heard about the usual reseller shops that house these luxury brands.  The one I can remember now is Daikokuya. I must've visited almost all reseller shops I've seen on the road.  I've noticed that these shops carry the top 3 popular ones:  Hermes, Chanel and Louis Vuitton.  There still are several pieces of Balenciaga, Valentino, Tory Burch, Celine, Gucci and Michael Kors but not as abundant as the top 3.  I guess what carries the most value are the three popular ones. If you are looking for cheap designer bags, I suggest checking out Don Quixote.  You will usually find on the topmost floors on Donki.  I think this is the one in Shinjuku. I am not so sure. You find them arranged like this or inside locked glass cabinets.  I'm sure the artisans who made these bags will tu...

Great Finds for the New Year

I'm always excited to try out new products.  I've tried these new products and found them to be very satisfactory.  I hope you get to try these out too. 1. Soap and Glory's Clarity - I was about to become Rudolf, the reindeer, before I found this.  It stopped my zit from becoming a full-blown center-of-attraction.  It has a very refreshing smell that is very much needed after a sweating it out the whole day.  Available at Sephora stores. 2.  Mocha Rose by Rosebud Perfume Co -  If you like the Rosebud Salve balms that come in small tin pods, you will love this product.  It comes in an easy-open tube for convenience and effortless application.  The application tip has a velvety texture unlike most balms in a tube.  More importantly, the balm is so effective, it took out the dryness on my lips in a couple of applications.  Also available at Sephora stores.  ...

Gratitude Calendar 11/5

  I have always been afraid of the dark.  But growing up and becoming a parent, I have learned to overcome that (along with other fears), so that my children will not grow up fearing trivial things.