Skip to main content

Simplifying Life

Week 1 of Lockdown

What adjustments have I made during this time of "house arrest?"

I hate to sound insensitive, but so far, the biggest adjustment is learning to be at home 24/7.   I realized that we've been always out and about that we've taken that for granted. 

My kids are learning to enjoy things other than playing with their electronic toys.  They're keeping themselves entertained with board games and playing cards.  They learned how to play Black Jack, Solitaire, Ungoy-unguyan.  I have yet to teach them Pequa and the Memory Game.  What's important is they play together and get-along during these times of "house arrest."

Before the lock-down, we were lucky enough to get the Harry Potter book set.  It was a good decision because it took their minds and hands off their electronic toys. 

How has it affected us?

I see that gas expenses have gone down.  There are fewer piles of clothes that need to be laundered.  There's just constant demand for food.   I am constantly thinking of ways to reinvent left-overs.  I want to maximize what I have so I do not need to go to the grocery too often.

We've managed to cope.  We have enough food.  I think we have enough meds too. We are forced to simplify our lives.  There is less need for going-out clothes.  Online shopping for non-essentials are non-existent too.  At this time, one car is sufficient. 

-------------------------

Week 2 of Lockdown

We are actually at the end of the 2nd week.  We have somehow learned to accept the fact that this lockdown isn't going to be lifted anytime soon.  I've been helping Bettina with her schoolwork.  We also spent the day coloring the travel book she unearthed in the den.  Javi is still giving us excuses not to finish his requirements. 


My children's classes are wrapping up in a few days.  Online term exams will be given next week.  After that, it is officially summer.  I don't think we'd be able to spend it outdoors.

Holy Week celebrations will be more memorable this year.  There is no excuse to miss online recollections.  I have not doubt that the city streets will still be uncongested. 

I've relied on my contacts for rations of bread.  I was able to tap someone who has access to a big bakery.  I ordered a lot of bread so I do not have to worry about that for a long time.  I also found a delivery service for baking supplies.  I am glad about that because I need more flour to satisfy my family's sweet tooth.

I have also been sharing in Facebook what I do in the kitchen.  Though I am aware that some people may find that insensitive, I do what I can to minimize the impact of this pandemic to my family.  We are missing our own extended families and friends.  We are missing the things we enjoy when we go out.   By indulging them with food they appreciate, I am also feeding the soul and the mind.  We have our own ways of coping.  Mine is by being creative in the kitchen.

We may have to learn how to cut our sons' hair soon.  I am laughing at the thought of my sons sporting long uneven hairstyles.  Maybe I could just let it grow long enough to be tied by hair elastics.  Vic suggested shaving it all off.  It will surely grow back by the time the barbershop opens.

We've also have our first positive COVID-19 patient in the village.  I sincerely hope that it will be the only case. 

--------------------------

When all this is over, I see major lifestyle changes.  This experience made us see what is really important. Though I am thankful for the few luxuries we enjoy, it is still family, our health and our faith that really matter.

I am thankful that I have faith.  I do not know how others are coping without it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excited

That is how I felt when I got up from bed this morning. There are just so many things to do and to look forward to this week. I'd have to... ... get hold of CCP to discuss a possible tie-up for the next Three Festival. I may need to get some contacts from Tito Bal. ... get the space application form from Ayala Malls. ... visit the furniture fair at SMX this weekend. ... get a new copy of our marriage certificate for Vic's Visa renewal. ... obtain franchise terms from my top two food chains. ... interview the new househelp prospect. ...see if we can finally sell our SUV to make room for a bigger one. I hope I can get started soon. I hope Javi's yaya gets well right away so I can slip and get some of these done.

Luxury Bags in Japan

Since almost everyone I know visited Japan this summer, I would like re-live my visit this year through this post.  This time, I will focus on luxury bags. We've heard about the usual reseller shops that house these luxury brands.  The one I can remember now is Daikokuya. I must've visited almost all reseller shops I've seen on the road.  I've noticed that these shops carry the top 3 popular ones:  Hermes, Chanel and Louis Vuitton.  There still are several pieces of Balenciaga, Valentino, Tory Burch, Celine, Gucci and Michael Kors but not as abundant as the top 3.  I guess what carries the most value are the three popular ones. If you are looking for cheap designer bags, I suggest checking out Don Quixote.  You will usually find on the topmost floors on Donki.  I think this is the one in Shinjuku. I am not so sure. You find them arranged like this or inside locked glass cabinets.  I'm sure the artisans who made these bags will turn in their graves seein

Life Lately

For several months now, my husband and I have been juggling the EV importing business and this ambulatory center we are putting up.  In August, we hosted a grand birthday party for FIL, received balikbayans then sent them off.  The kids started school in August too.  Did I say that their schools are quite far from each other? It has been a busy past few months.  I am not used to waking up early every morning to bring the kids to school then head off to work.  I am starting to feel tired.   It is an adjustment.  At first, I was enjoying being an "empty nester" when all kids are in school.  But now that work is piling up, I miss those quiet times at home.   I am so looking forward to having a vacation soon. I need to recharge.