Skip to main content

Coffee Jaunts Off Morato


When it is my turn to bring the kids to school, I wait it out most of the time. So, it is just fitting that that I have a comfortable place to spend my "me" time.  I am tired of the usual coffee shops patronized by many.  They are often too crowded and noisy even in the early morning. 

In my quest for a nice spot, I only have 3 requirements:  Wi-Fi connectivity, quality of food and parking space.  Here are some options I found near Tomas Morato, where my kids' schools are located.

Goffa.  This small third wave coffee joint is located in F7 Rallos, owned and operated by the next door Purple Oven bakeshop.  They offer both savory and sweet options for breakfast.  If the options aren't to your liking, you may purchase your breakfast from the bakeshop and have it served at Goffa.  You are assured that the items are freshly baked.  Coffee is good too.  I particularly loved the round ice ball that chilled my mocha.  Yeah, ang babaw, I know. 




Typical serving size is similar to other third wave coffee outlets.  It is quite small compared to popular chains.  Parking space is limited, sometimes, paid when you come in later in the day.  Wi-Fi is non-existent.  It is open at 7:30am.
Rating:  3.5/5



Dean and Deluca.  I was so happy when I saw this being built.  I finally had another place to hang out in.  I do wish they open early.  Unfortunately,  they open late at 10am.  However, they close late too.  It is almost always well-patronized, even at odd hours.  It is best to come early for lunch and dinner.  I got to try it out for early dinner one time and I wasn't disappointed.  They offer a variety of options for your hungry stomach. The pastries are appetizing.  The meals are hefty and quite rich.   The serving size is big enough for 2-3 people.  The location is a bit of a surprise because I wouldn't expect a Dean and Deluca in that neighborhood.  Parking space is limited to street and basement parking.  I forgot to inquire if they have Wi-Fi connectivity.  I only got to try the flavored coffee and it was too milky for my taste.  Overall, it was a dining pleasant experience, the service and ambience. 
Rating:  3.5/5





Caerus Coffee.  This was an instant favorite.  I said to myself, this would be exactly how my cafe would look like if I had one.  The interiors, food variety, coffee and ambience were spot on.  It has small private room for small gatherings.  Seating options are varied enough for single or group diners.  There is even a small couch in the corner where my youngest used to lounge in while waiting for his Kuyas.  They also allow you to plug in your devices if needed.  Be warned, it has already been discovered by students and free-lancers.  Their menu show signs of wear and tear, and needs to be updated.  It is such a pity, they have menu items that aren't available recently.  It is barely 3 years old and it is already well-loved in the community. 



They even roast their own coffee, so when you hangout in there, you'd get a whiff of coffee.  Almost everything I tried out is good.  But, I suggest ordering the Beef Tapa and the Penne pasta.   Your breakfast order comes with free coffee.  Flavored Coffee comes in tall glasses.  If you like a variety of non-commercial loose leaf teas, this is for you!  Pastry offerings are supplied by Purple Oven and other independent bakers.  Wi-Fi is ever present.  They have a few parking slots that get easily filled up.  But, street parking is always available.  In my opinion, this place gives the biggest bang for your buck among all four cafes. 
Rating:  4.5/5


Crema and Cream.  This was an accidental discovery.  I was looking for a nearby place to wait for my husband one Saturday morning when I found this.  It is located on the second floor of a building tucked along Timog.  It has industrial interiors with an open layout. On the third floor is their Coffee Lab for coffee-tasting workshops.  It looks like another third wave coffee place but with more polish.  I recommend getting the Mushroom Trio toast.  It is surprisingly good without the guilt.   I do not see a dessert display but I know that it is available.   If you are in the mood for something heavier,  they offer Bolzico Beef too. 



Wi-Fi connectivity is available.  Parking is located at the ground level of the building.  I can say that this is a budding favorite mainly because it still undiscovered.  I practically have the place to myself this morning. 
Rating:  4/5

I hope this helps those who are in need of a perfect spot to think and work.  As you can gauge,  I favor upcoming coffee joints over established ones. 

Let me know if you find something else I can try out. 















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excited

That is how I felt when I got up from bed this morning. There are just so many things to do and to look forward to this week. I'd have to... ... get hold of CCP to discuss a possible tie-up for the next Three Festival. I may need to get some contacts from Tito Bal. ... get the space application form from Ayala Malls. ... visit the furniture fair at SMX this weekend. ... get a new copy of our marriage certificate for Vic's Visa renewal. ... obtain franchise terms from my top two food chains. ... interview the new househelp prospect. ...see if we can finally sell our SUV to make room for a bigger one. I hope I can get started soon. I hope Javi's yaya gets well right away so I can slip and get some of these done.

Luxury Bags in Japan

Since almost everyone I know visited Japan this summer, I would like re-live my visit this year through this post.  This time, I will focus on luxury bags. We've heard about the usual reseller shops that house these luxury brands.  The one I can remember now is Daikokuya. I must've visited almost all reseller shops I've seen on the road.  I've noticed that these shops carry the top 3 popular ones:  Hermes, Chanel and Louis Vuitton.  There still are several pieces of Balenciaga, Valentino, Tory Burch, Celine, Gucci and Michael Kors but not as abundant as the top 3.  I guess what carries the most value are the three popular ones. If you are looking for cheap designer bags, I suggest checking out Don Quixote.  You will usually find on the topmost floors on Donki.  I think this is the one in Shinjuku. I am not so sure. You find them arranged like this or inside locked glass cabinets.  I'm sure the artisans who made these bags will turn in their graves seein

Life Lately

For several months now, my husband and I have been juggling the EV importing business and this ambulatory center we are putting up.  In August, we hosted a grand birthday party for FIL, received balikbayans then sent them off.  The kids started school in August too.  Did I say that their schools are quite far from each other? It has been a busy past few months.  I am not used to waking up early every morning to bring the kids to school then head off to work.  I am starting to feel tired.   It is an adjustment.  At first, I was enjoying being an "empty nester" when all kids are in school.  But now that work is piling up, I miss those quiet times at home.   I am so looking forward to having a vacation soon. I need to recharge.