Skip to main content

Birthday Celebrations 2016


Vic's birthday and mine are a month apart. We rarely hold parties for ourselves. It's usually a special dinner with the kids and a big meal shared with our extended families. 


However, I plan to make it a tradition to travel to celebrate our birthdays. Last year was Tokyo. This year, we decided to go to Hong Kong. We missed the place. 

This year we decided to go about it differently. We didn't stay in our usual Marco Polo hotel. We explored parts of the city that aren't  familiar to us. 


Hotel Pravo

I like this hotel because it is in the center of TST. It is 2 blocks away from Harbour City  and 2 blocks away from Nathan Rd. It is surrounded by small restaurants that locals frequent. It is also quite accessible by MTR. TST and East TST MTR lines are just a block away. 



The interiors are very modern. You'll be greeted by a dark reception area and hallways. However, the rooms are well-lighted despite the black and white interiors. 



The room we were given has a separate living room. 











Toiletries are from a luxury label though I find the scent too strong. 



Our reservation also came with a free local smart phone. Unfortunately, the Internet couldn't be shared. 

What I like best about the place is the free mini-bar. Drinks are refilled everyday. We bring them out with us so we never had to purchase drinks to go with our meals. 

I would have wanted the bathroom to have more hooks. There was only one towel bar to accommodate our towels and clothes. The sink was too cramped for our own toiletries and hand towels. 

Causeway Bay

It was my first time to visit this place. We spent our morning in Ikea. We came out satisfied with our loot and morning snacks. Shopped some more at H&M. We hung out at the Flagship Apple store to rest our tired feet. 

Mongkok

We visited Mongkok in the past. I was only familiar with the Ladies' market and the usual HK stores.  However, due to my father's request, we ventured into a building dedicated to Hi-Fi audio equipment. I never knew about these kinds of stores in the past. 

Food Republic at Silvercord

A trip to HK is not complete without a visit at Silvercord.  During the lunch hour till early afternoon, we find it hard to get seats for a big group of travellers.  However, my husband and I discovered that the place is practically deserted in the evening.

Delicious Kitchen

A five-minute walk from Hotel Pravo is a popular local joint called Delicious Kitchen.  It is known for its double pork rib.  To my Filipino palate, it tastes like a breaded version of our tocino.  It is sweet and crunchy, with a little bit of 5-spice powder.  Serving size is good enough for two.  Try it out during your next visit.


Now, I know what they meant.  You truly discover something new every time you visit Hong Kong.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excited

That is how I felt when I got up from bed this morning. There are just so many things to do and to look forward to this week. I'd have to... ... get hold of CCP to discuss a possible tie-up for the next Three Festival. I may need to get some contacts from Tito Bal. ... get the space application form from Ayala Malls. ... visit the furniture fair at SMX this weekend. ... get a new copy of our marriage certificate for Vic's Visa renewal. ... obtain franchise terms from my top two food chains. ... interview the new househelp prospect. ...see if we can finally sell our SUV to make room for a bigger one. I hope I can get started soon. I hope Javi's yaya gets well right away so I can slip and get some of these done.

Luxury Bags in Japan

Since almost everyone I know visited Japan this summer, I would like re-live my visit this year through this post.  This time, I will focus on luxury bags. We've heard about the usual reseller shops that house these luxury brands.  The one I can remember now is Daikokuya. I must've visited almost all reseller shops I've seen on the road.  I've noticed that these shops carry the top 3 popular ones:  Hermes, Chanel and Louis Vuitton.  There still are several pieces of Balenciaga, Valentino, Tory Burch, Celine, Gucci and Michael Kors but not as abundant as the top 3.  I guess what carries the most value are the three popular ones. If you are looking for cheap designer bags, I suggest checking out Don Quixote.  You will usually find on the topmost floors on Donki.  I think this is the one in Shinjuku. I am not so sure. You find them arranged like this or inside locked glass cabinets.  I'm sure the artisans who made these bags will turn in their graves seein

Life Lately

For several months now, my husband and I have been juggling the EV importing business and this ambulatory center we are putting up.  In August, we hosted a grand birthday party for FIL, received balikbayans then sent them off.  The kids started school in August too.  Did I say that their schools are quite far from each other? It has been a busy past few months.  I am not used to waking up early every morning to bring the kids to school then head off to work.  I am starting to feel tired.   It is an adjustment.  At first, I was enjoying being an "empty nester" when all kids are in school.  But now that work is piling up, I miss those quiet times at home.   I am so looking forward to having a vacation soon. I need to recharge.