Skip to main content

Japan 2015


Thanks to the Great Miles Getaway, I was able to score roundtrip business class tickets for Haneda.  We took the PAL red-eye flight from Manila and arrived in Haneda around Midnight.

This was a DIY trip with my husband, whose last visit to Japan was more than a decade ago.  You can just imagine his excitement.  I just secured the tickets and left him to make all the other arrangements.  He did the research about airport transfers, booked our hotel and AirBnB accommodations and figured out our stops.  He got a reservation for his Kobe Beef birthday dinner at one of the leading restaurants in town.  

This was my third visit to Japan.  First was the Tokyo with the ACS.  Next was Sapporo for the second round of THREE.  This time, with Vic, I was able to explore and familiarize myself with this lovely Japanese city.  Most of my previous trips were spent inside rehearsal rooms so I was glad for the opportunity to come back.

I'd like to share with you my observations.  It may help first time travellers to Japan.

Go to the city with an open mind.  Not everyone can communicate in English.  It is always appreaciated if you learn the polite and courtesy words.  It was funny because I was having all my languages mixed up.  Because my last "foreign" language was Spanish, I kept saying "Gracias" instead of "Arigato."

Be prepared to walk.  It is like Singapore where you really have to use the train and walk to your destination.  I still couldn't undertand how they can walk for long periods in high heels.  There aren't too many places to sit so expect to rest standing up too.

Real Estate is expensive in Japan.  Expect that hotel rooms to be expensive and small.  We couldn't keep the luggage open all the time because there wouldn't be space to walk on.  I was amazed at how they were able to maximize the small bathroom space.

Locals are very protective of their personal space.  Rarely would they bump into you, even when crossing the famous Shibuya Crossing.  Even inside the trains, they keep to themselves.  They don't rub elbows with strangers.  They also speak in hushed tones so as not to disrupt others.

Sample the local food.  We ate something different everyday.  It was Katsu on the first day.  Next was Ramen. Then there was our Yakitori dinner then Kobe Steak the next day.  Then a sushi dinner at a Sushi conveyor restaurant.  We never ran out of things to try.

On the average, meals wold cost from Y500 to Y1000.  If you run out of options, there is always the local grocery, 7-Eleven or Family Mart for the cheap and ready-to-eat meals.  On some nights, we just got food from there and eat it at the apartment.

 I just noticed that women rarely eat lunch at restaurants.  I am not sure if they just eat a home or don't eat at all.

Soda drinkers beware.  Tea and coffee are more abundant than soda.  Most meals are served with hot, bland tea.

Locals take grooming and dressing seriously.  Almost all Japanese women I've seen were very fair with flawless skin.   I was amazed at how they were able to survive winter with really short skirts and thigh high boots.  The draft must bother them too.

Cosmetics are a big thing too.  I felt out of place with no make up so I made it a point to dab some before stepping out.  Aside from the usual brands, I like Cezzane.  It is cheap and applies well

Another observation was they rarely wear colors.  Shibuya and Shinjuku were littered with people in basic colors.  I stood out with my purple sweater and aquamarine vest.  The only place those fit in was in Ginza, and maybe, Harajuku.

Tokyo is also big on shopping.  People love brand names.  Based on Philippine standards, everything felt expensive.  Most shops offer Tax Free shopping if you reach a certain purchase amount.  Just make sure to always bring your passport.  Uniqlo has its own counter for tax-free shopping for a minimum purchase of Y10,000.  For pre-owned goods, head to Daikokuya and Komehyo.  Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Rolex and Hermes are everywhere. 


 Don Quixote is also a well-known stop for basics and quirky stuff.

If you are looking for souvenir items, we got our stash from the local grocery and at the discount store called Can Do.  Milk tea, chocolates, sweets, Tokyo banana, Strawberry cakes, matcha products, rice crackers and cosmetics filled up our luggage.



If you are tired of tourist traps, I suggest visiting the Sony showroom in Ginza or the Lemon Showroom for cameras and vintage watches.

All in all, we stayed in the city for 5 days.  Without kids, I'd say 5 days was more than enough.  We explored at our own pace. We still had lots of time to "tambay" with Hachiko or at Starbucks.

If you are wondering about expenses, you don't have to spend a lot.  Because we got accommodations from AirBnb, we cut our accommodations budget by half.  With minimal shopping, we enjoyed the city with just US$1000 for 5 days.   Because we got pocket wifi devices, we didn't spend a lot on communications too.

So, there you go, Tokyo on a budget.  I see Tokyo becoming my new Hong Kong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excited

That is how I felt when I got up from bed this morning. There are just so many things to do and to look forward to this week. I'd have to... ... get hold of CCP to discuss a possible tie-up for the next Three Festival. I may need to get some contacts from Tito Bal. ... get the space application form from Ayala Malls. ... visit the furniture fair at SMX this weekend. ... get a new copy of our marriage certificate for Vic's Visa renewal. ... obtain franchise terms from my top two food chains. ... interview the new househelp prospect. ...see if we can finally sell our SUV to make room for a bigger one. I hope I can get started soon. I hope Javi's yaya gets well right away so I can slip and get some of these done.

Luxury Bags in Japan

Since almost everyone I know visited Japan this summer, I would like re-live my visit this year through this post.  This time, I will focus on luxury bags. We've heard about the usual reseller shops that house these luxury brands.  The one I can remember now is Daikokuya. I must've visited almost all reseller shops I've seen on the road.  I've noticed that these shops carry the top 3 popular ones:  Hermes, Chanel and Louis Vuitton.  There still are several pieces of Balenciaga, Valentino, Tory Burch, Celine, Gucci and Michael Kors but not as abundant as the top 3.  I guess what carries the most value are the three popular ones. If you are looking for cheap designer bags, I suggest checking out Don Quixote.  You will usually find on the topmost floors on Donki.  I think this is the one in Shinjuku. I am not so sure. You find them arranged like this or inside locked glass cabinets.  I'm sure the artisans who made these bags will turn in their graves seein

Life Lately

For several months now, my husband and I have been juggling the EV importing business and this ambulatory center we are putting up.  In August, we hosted a grand birthday party for FIL, received balikbayans then sent them off.  The kids started school in August too.  Did I say that their schools are quite far from each other? It has been a busy past few months.  I am not used to waking up early every morning to bring the kids to school then head off to work.  I am starting to feel tired.   It is an adjustment.  At first, I was enjoying being an "empty nester" when all kids are in school.  But now that work is piling up, I miss those quiet times at home.   I am so looking forward to having a vacation soon. I need to recharge.