Skip to main content

What 2013 Was

I know I am a couple of weeks behind.  But, please allow me to do my annual round-up.

It was all about new beginnings, new experiences and new opportunities.

I didn't realize it but 2013 was still filled with trips with family and friends.  It didn't feel like it towards the latter half.

In the first quarter, there was Hokkaido, the center of the Japanese Winter Festival.  I was happy to experience snow once again.  After 10 years, I remembered how pretty but inconvenient it could be.  It was en route to Hokkaido that I experienced being disembarked at the snowy tarmac of Busan, with no warning.  Walking in the snow was fun.  Slipping on ice wasn't.  Dressing up in layers, donning snow boots, drying skin, being driven in a taxi slipping on ice weren't my ideas of fun.  I was glad to see that the THREE in Hokkaido trip reflect things we've started in TATLO.  It just affirmed that we did something right.

Then there was our US trip.  We didn't bring that much money for shopping but Sting's concert and our self-made Geek tour made all the difference in this trip. We also made it a point to visit Vic's relatives in Chicago, something we haven't done in our previous visits.

With the kids, we explored Singapore once again. We stayed at the Marina Bay Sands for the first time and went around Lego Land despite my swollen ankle.

For the summer, my parents wanted my kids to experience rural life.  We went back to visit my mother's hometown in Antique.  Our days were pretty simple.  It started with trips to the beach.  Some afternoons were spent tree planting and playing with farm animals in the backyard.  It was survivable despite the heat.  Thank God for satellite cable TV, 3G and iPads.

In April of the past year, we officially opened my first business venture.  It was a huge risk considering the amount we invested on this.  There were numerous opportunities to learn from and a lot of hair-pulling instances.  But, with a lot of guidance and prayers, we were able to survive 2013.  Thanks to a group of hard-working and supportive staff, I am able to balance home and work life.  It is still an unending effort to adjust to people's varying backgrounds and personalities.

Since the business is still in its initial stages, there were lots of belt-cinching and money-pinching moments.  I don't want to remember those unplanned expenses that we had to sacrifice for.  It was most difficult for me because I was the one who was controlling the budget and our savings.  Galit ako sa mundo nung mga panahon na yon.

Christmas breakfast was usually at Circles.  This time, we decided on skipping breakfast and just meeting for mass then lunch at Solaire.  Solaire's Fresh is all about presentation.  It was disappointing.  Nabitin kami ni Vic so a few weeks later, we were at Spiral for an advance anniversary date.

After 7 years, we spent New Year's Eve here in the Philippines.  It was my children's first memory of NYE celebration in Manila.  We didn't buy fireworks but they had their own noise makers.  We watched various displays from my parents' balcony while wearing masks.  It's a good thing that the coughing didn't progress to asthma.

All in all, it was an emotional ride.  I am not sure if I can blame it all on pregnancy hormones.  I acknowledge that it was His way to enable me to help others in need of employment, influence others' work habits, to learn new things and to get a new perspective on things I would have viewed differently.  Most importantly, 2013 was a testament of God's providence.  I regret nothing.

I pray that 2014 would be as fruitful with coming of Baby #4.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excited

That is how I felt when I got up from bed this morning. There are just so many things to do and to look forward to this week. I'd have to... ... get hold of CCP to discuss a possible tie-up for the next Three Festival. I may need to get some contacts from Tito Bal. ... get the space application form from Ayala Malls. ... visit the furniture fair at SMX this weekend. ... get a new copy of our marriage certificate for Vic's Visa renewal. ... obtain franchise terms from my top two food chains. ... interview the new househelp prospect. ...see if we can finally sell our SUV to make room for a bigger one. I hope I can get started soon. I hope Javi's yaya gets well right away so I can slip and get some of these done.

Luxury Bags in Japan

Since almost everyone I know visited Japan this summer, I would like re-live my visit this year through this post.  This time, I will focus on luxury bags. We've heard about the usual reseller shops that house these luxury brands.  The one I can remember now is Daikokuya. I must've visited almost all reseller shops I've seen on the road.  I've noticed that these shops carry the top 3 popular ones:  Hermes, Chanel and Louis Vuitton.  There still are several pieces of Balenciaga, Valentino, Tory Burch, Celine, Gucci and Michael Kors but not as abundant as the top 3.  I guess what carries the most value are the three popular ones. If you are looking for cheap designer bags, I suggest checking out Don Quixote.  You will usually find on the topmost floors on Donki.  I think this is the one in Shinjuku. I am not so sure. You find them arranged like this or inside locked glass cabinets.  I'm sure the artisans who made these bags will turn in their graves seein

Life Lately

For several months now, my husband and I have been juggling the EV importing business and this ambulatory center we are putting up.  In August, we hosted a grand birthday party for FIL, received balikbayans then sent them off.  The kids started school in August too.  Did I say that their schools are quite far from each other? It has been a busy past few months.  I am not used to waking up early every morning to bring the kids to school then head off to work.  I am starting to feel tired.   It is an adjustment.  At first, I was enjoying being an "empty nester" when all kids are in school.  But now that work is piling up, I miss those quiet times at home.   I am so looking forward to having a vacation soon. I need to recharge.