Skip to main content

The Essence of Travelling



To most Filipinos, leisurely traveling is equated to shopping.  If it were a frequently visited destination, I’d probably skip the tourist spots and head to the shops.  However, the past few weeks were not about visiting a frequented place.  Hence, each day was valued-packed with uncommon sights and experiences.  To give you an idea of how intense our two weeks were, here is our itinerary:

Days 1 – 2:  Paris
Days 3 – 5:  Provence
Days 6 – 9:  Rome / Florence
Days 10 – 13:  Amsterdam
Days 14 – 15:  Paris

This itinerary is not part of a package tour.  It is DIY, borne out of invites of several friends and our desire to cross off items in our bucket lists.  Isn’t it obvious, we wanted to maximize the cost of the trip?

Despite the busyness of everything, we managed immerse ourselves into the local culture.  We ate the local food, rode the public transport, befriended the French and the Italians, and tried to speak the local language.  We wouldn’t get that experience from a package tour.

Since it was at least the 2nd visit for most of us, we’re quite glad that this time, we did everything at our own pace.  We didn’t have to worry about being too tired to sing for a concert or a courtesy call and that we didn’t have to lug our costumes everywhere we go.  We’re glad that at the end of the day, we had to time look back and assess how we spent our day. 

We realized that we’re more mature travelers now.  We finished the tourist spots on the first day and resisted the urge to shop.  We made sure to sample the local cuisine and check out the region’s products.  We lived as the Romans, French and Dutch did. 

Travelling necessitates adjusting to the local way of doing things.  I’d have to put my culture aside, along with everything familiar to understand that

… Parisians aren’t snobs.  They’re still the fast-paced, fashionable people we know them to be.  But they open up to someone who tries to speak their language.  They are also very different from their Provencal brothers and sisters, who are warmer, more carefree and more family-oriented.

… Italians are very passionate people.  They love their rich heritage and history but struggle with the economy that cannot support their passion.  Our tour guide, who is an archeologist by profession, says that giving tours is more lucrative than digging.  Rome has a lot of history graduates but no work is more financially rewarding than being a tour guide.  Meanwhile, some Italians in the retail industry don’t know what customer service is.  Shoe shopping isn’t as pleasurable as it is in most countries.  I also expected more from McDonald’s at Via Nazionale.

… The Dutch, though allowed certain liberties (prostitution and smoking marijuana), are still very reserved people.  They are not rowdy or loud.  They can be very aggressive when mounted on their bikes.  They are quite conversant in English, making them one of the most tourist-friendly cities in Europe.

Travelling is still the best form of learning any person should be exposed to.  It can be mighty expensive.  But, it is not bound by age or the state’s educational system.

Ultimately, it is a test of one’s patience, maturity, tolerance, and adaptability.  It was an experience out of my comfort zone, making me appreciate and love my home country even more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excited

That is how I felt when I got up from bed this morning. There are just so many things to do and to look forward to this week. I'd have to... ... get hold of CCP to discuss a possible tie-up for the next Three Festival. I may need to get some contacts from Tito Bal. ... get the space application form from Ayala Malls. ... visit the furniture fair at SMX this weekend. ... get a new copy of our marriage certificate for Vic's Visa renewal. ... obtain franchise terms from my top two food chains. ... interview the new househelp prospect. ...see if we can finally sell our SUV to make room for a bigger one. I hope I can get started soon. I hope Javi's yaya gets well right away so I can slip and get some of these done.

Luxury Bags in Japan

Since almost everyone I know visited Japan this summer, I would like re-live my visit this year through this post.  This time, I will focus on luxury bags. We've heard about the usual reseller shops that house these luxury brands.  The one I can remember now is Daikokuya. I must've visited almost all reseller shops I've seen on the road.  I've noticed that these shops carry the top 3 popular ones:  Hermes, Chanel and Louis Vuitton.  There still are several pieces of Balenciaga, Valentino, Tory Burch, Celine, Gucci and Michael Kors but not as abundant as the top 3.  I guess what carries the most value are the three popular ones. If you are looking for cheap designer bags, I suggest checking out Don Quixote.  You will usually find on the topmost floors on Donki.  I think this is the one in Shinjuku. I am not so sure. You find them arranged like this or inside locked glass cabinets.  I'm sure the artisans who made these bags will turn in their graves seein

Life Lately

For several months now, my husband and I have been juggling the EV importing business and this ambulatory center we are putting up.  In August, we hosted a grand birthday party for FIL, received balikbayans then sent them off.  The kids started school in August too.  Did I say that their schools are quite far from each other? It has been a busy past few months.  I am not used to waking up early every morning to bring the kids to school then head off to work.  I am starting to feel tired.   It is an adjustment.  At first, I was enjoying being an "empty nester" when all kids are in school.  But now that work is piling up, I miss those quiet times at home.   I am so looking forward to having a vacation soon. I need to recharge.