Skip to main content

Marks and Spencer Bakery

I couldn't believe it  until I saw it.  I didn't even know that there was such a thing.  I didn't encounter anything similar in HK or in UK.  But, I knew that their pastries and desserts were really good. 

The Marks and Spencer Bakery is located beside the M&S boutique in Eastwood.  In fact, they share the same entrance.  Upon entering the food section, you'd see a small display rack of the breads, doughnuts and cookies on the left.  On the other side, you'll see the packaged food items.  The frozen pies and dinners were located on the opposite wall.

There weren't a lot of baked goods to choose from.  There were only a couple of doughnuts left, a few pieces of cookies, one piece of bagel, several almond croissants and other British pastries.  The batards and baguettes were stacked in the corner of the counter, below one's line of sight.   I am not sure if the display, or the lack of, will be good business for them. 

I only got to sample the chocolate chip cookie and the chocolate-glazed doughnuts.  The cookie tasted great.  The same kind of chocolate you get from the digestive cookies, you'll also taste in the cookies.  However, it seemed over done.  For a cookie the size of a "platito," it didn't have the same consistency all-throughout.  The doughnuts seemed to be exposed for too long already that the bread is already turning crusty.  Not a good first impression.

The store looked unappealing.  Everything is stark white, even the trays.  It looked so utilitarian for a bakery.  I think it needs warm colors to lure the buyers.

The price range seemed reasonable though. It is very close to that of Bread Talk, and a bit cheaper than those offered in coffee shops.  Since it also offers beverages, it may give its neighbor some serious competition, if only they had tables and chairs.

I will probably give it a few more months before I sample their stocks again.  By then, they may have gotten over the usual operational hurdles of start-up bakeshops.  I am hoping for better tasting breads from them in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luxury Bags in Japan

Since almost everyone I know visited Japan this summer, I would like re-live my visit this year through this post.  This time, I will focus on luxury bags. We've heard about the usual reseller shops that house these luxury brands.  The one I can remember now is Daikokuya. I must've visited almost all reseller shops I've seen on the road.  I've noticed that these shops carry the top 3 popular ones:  Hermes, Chanel and Louis Vuitton.  There still are several pieces of Balenciaga, Valentino, Tory Burch, Celine, Gucci and Michael Kors but not as abundant as the top 3.  I guess what carries the most value are the three popular ones. If you are looking for cheap designer bags, I suggest checking out Don Quixote.  You will usually find on the topmost floors on Donki.  I think this is the one in Shinjuku. I am not so sure. You find them arranged like this or inside locked glass cabinets.  I'm sure the artisans who made these bags will tu...

Great Finds for the New Year

I'm always excited to try out new products.  I've tried these new products and found them to be very satisfactory.  I hope you get to try these out too. 1. Soap and Glory's Clarity - I was about to become Rudolf, the reindeer, before I found this.  It stopped my zit from becoming a full-blown center-of-attraction.  It has a very refreshing smell that is very much needed after a sweating it out the whole day.  Available at Sephora stores. 2.  Mocha Rose by Rosebud Perfume Co -  If you like the Rosebud Salve balms that come in small tin pods, you will love this product.  It comes in an easy-open tube for convenience and effortless application.  The application tip has a velvety texture unlike most balms in a tube.  More importantly, the balm is so effective, it took out the dryness on my lips in a couple of applications.  Also available at Sephora stores.  ...

Gratitude Calendar 11/5

  I have always been afraid of the dark.  But growing up and becoming a parent, I have learned to overcome that (along with other fears), so that my children will not grow up fearing trivial things.