Skip to main content

The New US Embassy in Manila

Just a few weeks ago, the Visa Processing Section of the US Embassy has moved to the newly-constructed building. It is the one right beside the bay. If you are familiar with Ermita Center, it's across that.

Though we were aware of this relocation, we failed take note of it. We parked near Museo Pambata thinking that I was just a short walk from there. Boy, we were wrong. By the time we reached the waiting area, the kids were already tired of the longer walk.

If you arrive early for your appointment, you will be asked to wait in the open area near the bay. You will only be let in an hour before your appointment. If you're appointment is past 9am, I suggest bringing an umbrella. There aren't enough shaded areas in that side of the embassy.

Pleasant changes await inside the new building. Granite counters line the interview windows. There are more seats in the waiting areas. Snack kiosks are in case you are hungry, thirsty or just bored. The restrooms also come with A/Cs so you may hang out in there like what Vic and Johann did. A Kodak booth is located inside the premises just in case there is something wrong with your copy.

All-in-all, it was very efficient, sleek and modern.

The new infrastructure also came with an updated application process:

1. Upon entering the gates, your documents will be checked. Make sure you have the DS-160 confirmation page, Appointment letter and passport. You will be given a number at this point. One number is given to family applicants. Be sure to hold on to this number because it will be your number throughout the process. People are called into the screening/interview area in sequence, not in random.

2. Upon entering the gated section, you will be asked to sit in the first waiting area. Your documents will be checked and stamped inside the new building. After which, you have to go outside again to wait for finger-printing.

3. The four fingers on the left hand will be scanned first; then the other four fingers on the right followed by the two thumbs. Johann and Javi were waiting for their turn at the scanner. But, we were informed that there's no scanning for children below 14. After this, applicants were asked to wait in the building

4. Interview

5. If Visa is granted, no additional payment is required. I was told to expect delivery by courier within a week. Buti naman, they decided to get that from the Php 6160 I paid per applicant.


Unfortunately, there is no longer a priority lane for applicants with children. I was worried there for a bit. The kids are tired of waiting and are about to throw tantrums and Vic had to leave us for something important at work. I asked if they can allow my yaya to go inside. Di daw pwede.

However, there are more people assisting the applicants. They are no longer confined inside the windows. I was surprised to find courteous and helpful attendants and guards. When I showed up at the Embassy five years ago, they were very condescending. The people, even the Officers, were very approachable.

If you have a choice, opt for an earlier appointment. This way, you wont get delayed by the backlog from the earlier appointments. Our appointment was at 11:15. They told us to expect to be interviewed right after they resume from lunch. True enough, we were the very first ones to be interviewed after lunch. At 1:10PM, we were on way out.

Quick Reminder: No more surrendering of mobile phones and other electronic devices at the guard. Make sure that you leave your phones, iPods, iPads and other devices behind before entering the premises.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excited

That is how I felt when I got up from bed this morning. There are just so many things to do and to look forward to this week. I'd have to... ... get hold of CCP to discuss a possible tie-up for the next Three Festival. I may need to get some contacts from Tito Bal. ... get the space application form from Ayala Malls. ... visit the furniture fair at SMX this weekend. ... get a new copy of our marriage certificate for Vic's Visa renewal. ... obtain franchise terms from my top two food chains. ... interview the new househelp prospect. ...see if we can finally sell our SUV to make room for a bigger one. I hope I can get started soon. I hope Javi's yaya gets well right away so I can slip and get some of these done.

Luxury Bags in Japan

Since almost everyone I know visited Japan this summer, I would like re-live my visit this year through this post.  This time, I will focus on luxury bags. We've heard about the usual reseller shops that house these luxury brands.  The one I can remember now is Daikokuya. I must've visited almost all reseller shops I've seen on the road.  I've noticed that these shops carry the top 3 popular ones:  Hermes, Chanel and Louis Vuitton.  There still are several pieces of Balenciaga, Valentino, Tory Burch, Celine, Gucci and Michael Kors but not as abundant as the top 3.  I guess what carries the most value are the three popular ones. If you are looking for cheap designer bags, I suggest checking out Don Quixote.  You will usually find on the topmost floors on Donki.  I think this is the one in Shinjuku. I am not so sure. You find them arranged like this or inside locked glass cabinets.  I'm sure the artisans who made these bags will turn in their graves seein

Life Lately

For several months now, my husband and I have been juggling the EV importing business and this ambulatory center we are putting up.  In August, we hosted a grand birthday party for FIL, received balikbayans then sent them off.  The kids started school in August too.  Did I say that their schools are quite far from each other? It has been a busy past few months.  I am not used to waking up early every morning to bring the kids to school then head off to work.  I am starting to feel tired.   It is an adjustment.  At first, I was enjoying being an "empty nester" when all kids are in school.  But now that work is piling up, I miss those quiet times at home.   I am so looking forward to having a vacation soon. I need to recharge.